Saturday, January 10, 2009

Christmas Traditions


It was fun to watch Jack experience Christmas as a wise little three year old. This year we continued some old traditions, including traveling to visit our families and decorating the Christmas tree with ornaments I received as a child. I believe that my mom made this Santa Claus advent calendar from a kit sometime during the 70's. It has been a part of our family Christmas tradition as long as I can remember. This is the first year I have gotten it out for the boys - Jack had fun filling the pockets, though as you can see, he didn't understand the need to fill them consecutively... (In case you're wondering, that is a balloon string hanging down from the ceiling- you never know what will float into a picture around our house!)

One new family tradition we started this year is having a birthday party for Jesus. We want to keep Jesus as the focus of the Christmas season, so we preceded our family Christmas gift exchange with cupcakes and singing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus. The kids thought this was great fun! One family I know bakes the birthday cake on Christmas Eve and then eats it for breakfast on Christmas morning, but I wasn't quite ready to brave Christmas morning with toddlers on a sugar high!

1 comment:

Janet said...

I LOVE that making a birthday cake on Christmas Eve and eating it for breakfast! I don't blame you for NOT doing that, though. We actually bought the kids three different kinds of sugar cereal (that we never eat - so definitely a treat) and wrapped them and put them under a tree. So I guess we started on a sugar high, but I like the cake idea much better with the focus on Jesus! Thanks for sharing!